Thursday, October 04, 2007

General mistake that Joomla users do

I haven't been writing here for a while because I was on vacation and when I got back I had to work on redesign of one of my blogs.

But I'm back!

Today I would like to point out the general mistake that people often do with Joomla and other CMS.

Most people that start using some CMS don't know much about JavaScript, PHP and other programming languages (I was also one of them). They think that it's enough to install Joomla, to learn from Joomla tutorials and that everything will be OK.

That is maybe true if you use only the Joomla itself without extra add-ons which are available, but as soon as you start using add-ons for Joomla, you see how little you actually know.

The point is that most free add-ons that you can find online are made by different persons and with different programming language and some languages "don't like each other".

For example - if you install module for Joomla which uses prototype and later on install some other component which uses mootools, one of the add-ons or both will not work or will not work properly.

So, if you have your Joomla installed nicely and are installing bunch of other add-ons, stop for a second and reconsider which modules and components do you really need and how are they made? Do they correspond to other add-ons which are already installed?

And if some add-on is not working properly, contact the person that made that add-on, try to see why it's not working for you. Don't just give it up. The mistake doesn't have to be in that add-on.

0 komentari: